Being a martial artist, sometimes it is important to step back and think about why you do things. If you've been a martial artist for a long time, it's something that is pretty well customary. If you're a "new" or "young" martial artist (as in, less than ten years into the practice), it helps to periodically look back at things.
I've been going through one of those phases again. It's helping me to redefine myself.
So, here is what I have come up with:
The Benefit of training in Tang Soo Do:
1. Self Discipline
3. Self Confidence
5. Physical Fitness
The values to training in martial arts are:
1. Integrity-honesty. Winners don't lie. Integrity instills honesty which instills integrity. It's a circle.
2. Self discipline-Not being lazy. You can't say you have "self discipline" if you're avoiding any sort of workout.
3. Self confidence-belief in oneself. Being able to achieve the impossible.
4. Strength--Mental as well as physical. Make your own decisions.
5. Physical Fitness--Physical fitness leads to improved health, being healthy.
This all ties together. You have to have self discipline in order to follow through with your physical fitness, for example. If you are lazy, you don't allow yourself to workout or train, which in turn leads to sloppy martial arts.
When you're physically fit, you'll feel more self confidence. Self confidence allows you to have the fortitude to continue down the path you've chosen.
5 days ago