Thursday, February 19, 2009

One steps and Ho Sin Sul

I really am enjoying myself again.  I've made two classes this week and they were wonderful!
Tonight was a continuation of the One Steps and Ho Sin Sul we were working on Tuesday night.  Tonight we picked up with Ho Sin Sul 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and One Steps 4, 5, 6. It was an eye opening evening.  I got to work with Ms. Mad.  She taught me a lot of things.  One of the things we worked on was judging our distances.  For example...Ms. Mad is taller than me by several inches.  She has to scoot backwards to get a good range for a kick.  Otherwise, if she's close to me, she'll be able to throw a punch, but she'll be squished up if she tries to kick me at that distance.
I have to pivot in order to be able to execute a good back kick for one of the one steps.  
I found a lot of correlation between the one steps and some of the forms.  One of the Ho Sin Sul that we were doing involved a bear hug as an attack.  To get out of that, you do a quick backwards hip thrust, drop into a horseriding stance (straight down) and raise your arms to break the attacker's grasp.  Then you give the attacker an elbow to the ribs, shuffle to the side and perform another elbow to the ribs while simultaneously punching with the opposite hand on the same side.  If you think about the ending of Pyung ahn Sah Dan, where you simultaneously elbow and punch, then jump and reverse your elbow/punch combination, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I probably couldn't have picked a better time to return to classes.  I got a LOT out of them.  I'm still focusing on the "I will do my best" and "I will put forth 100% effort in my learning" during the Muk Nyum because it'll help me leave the chaff from my day behind.   I feel great for having gone to class.  

No comments: