Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Informative class

I learned a LOT last night at class. Yes, I actually went to class!!!
We did a warm up and I'm happy to report that the brace I had Tony buy for me worked to keep my ankle stable enough to do jumping jacks. I don't know how many we actually did, but we each counted two..."Hana, dul..." I actually think that counting in Korean is a better idea than counting in English. I don't know about other people, but I know that for me, counting in Korean makes me NOT think about the actual jumping jack, but instead, concentrate on getting a workout. It works too.

We did a number of stretches and then Master G got people separated out to work on forms. He took some of us into his group and worked with us on Nahainchi Cho Dan and Bassai. He had us run through the forms on our own counts, and also on his counts. One of the things he reminded all of us about was that we need to use our hips. Then he separated us to work on Nahainchi Cho Dan while he worked with another studen on her form. We worked on our material for about 30 minutes, then we broke off to the other room.

When we got into the other room, he gave me a Ho Sin Sul book and another copy of the One Steps book. (the house has mysteriously 'eaten' my other one.)
He told me to familiarize myself with it, so that's what I shall do.
Then he worked with me on Nahainchi Cho Dan. He explained *much* that I don't recall learning. He taught me the bunkai (spelling?) of the hform and explained quite a bit. Each form has a practical application. It's not all about looking pretty, but it's about defense. Each movement has a specific defensive meaning. For example, much of Nahainchi Cho Dan was constructed as if you were on a horse or up against a wall, depending on how you look at it.
I found the class very informative last night. I can now explain why I do specific things during class, such as a ridge hand, etc. It's a defensive move.

Another thing he explained to me was how many opponents you could face during Keecho Hyung Il Bu...both the maximum and minimum number of opponents. The maximum number is 8 (He and I did the form and he explained it to me as we did it--he counted). The minimum is 1.

That class was highly informative. I'm glad I went. I feel like this will help me.
I talked to Master G a lot last night. I feel confident that I'll actually be able to get my butt off the ground and get that Ee Dan. I have a lot of work to do to get myself into shape, but...if I get myself into some sort of shape that is good, I will get myself ready for the next testing cycle (next Spring).

No comments: