Thursday, November 13, 2008

Important thoughts

How long to earn a black belt?

How long does it take to earn a black belt? The answer is illustrated in the parable of the boy and the Karate master.

A young boy traveled across Korea to the school of a famous master. When he arrived at the school he was given an audience by the master.

"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.

"I wish to be your student and become a black belt. How long must I study?" the boy replied.

'"At least 10 years." the master answered.

"Ten years!" the boy exclaimed. "What if I studied twice as hard as all your other students?"

"Twenty years!" replied the master.

"Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?" asked the boy.

"Thirty years!" was the master's reply.

"Why is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.

The master answered, "The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way.'"

No comments: