Monday, November 03, 2008

Mental fitness

I read Ms. M's black belt test account today and my first thought was, "HOLY!!!
That's a tough test!!" I've only participated in two tests, but man! She's in excellent condition and from what her test sounded like, it was brutal! She had to be completely wiped out by the end of it.

I told her the other night that I want to be her when I grow up. I really want to get into better shape physically because it'll make me feel better mentally.
Part of being a black belt is attitude. If you don't have a good attitude, you won't be a good black belt. You have to be mentally fit as well as physically fit.

I'm determined that by the time I make Ee Dan, I'll have truly earned it. I don't want to have my achievements held up to me as "you're my success story. I took a (fill in the blanks) person and made her into a black belt." Unfortunately, that was how my Cho Dan was presented to me in May. I wasn't given credit for working my butt off to earn it. I was told that I'm only a success story.
Well, guess what? I am NOT just that "fat person who is a black belt". I am in a league of elite martial artsts. I will reach that bar that has been set for me by the Ee Dans, Sam Dans, Sa Dans and Oh Dans. I will make it. I may fall into a small heap as I reach for it, but I will make it. Just need to work on my mental fitness. I need to be able to fail and learn from that failure.

There's a lot to be said for the people who undertake tests like Ms. M's. It shows just exactly how hard you have to work. It's not a "gimme". Anyone who thinks a belt test is that should really go read her blog. I have nothing but intense admiration for her.



No comments: